Local News, Events and Activities

Selling Homes in the East Bay Elisa Uribe 510-485-7272 Opening the Door to Opportunity
Welcome to Local News, Events and Activities Sign in | Help

Elisa Uribe

buyers who

Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I gave my heart, soul, sweat and tears for three days and created some remarkable memories along the way. The 2010 Susan G. Komen San Francisco Bay Area 3-Day for the Cure began with an emotional Opening Ceremony at 7 a.m. on a foggy, windy morning at Cow Palace this past Friday. From there we headed north into San Francisco and walked along the Great Highway with gorgeous ocean views. We even passed our friend Mark’s house where we were lodging during the long weekend. I was so nice to have a hot shower, running water and a bed to sleep in every night. Thanks again Mark!


When Carla and I started the walk we were one of the first 10 people walking so in the beginning there were times where we forgot there were 1400 people walking with us! Some notable memories along the way included the “Manbulance” sweep van dancers, firemen out with their truck, and the San Jose Bike Police supporting us along the route. About 12 miles into the walk I realized I needed to slow down and stretch if I was going to make it at all. Disappointed is an understatement since I had trained for so many weekends prior to the walk. I think sitting 12 hour days at the office the week before the event wasn’t the smartest move I made. I actually pulled a muscle and was told I should call it quits. I took a break in the van and when I heard the woman behind me who was walking only after promising her doctor she wouldn’t walk the whole way since she had just had one of her last Chemotherapy treatments, I got off the bus, and headed towards the cliff house and the stairs on the steep coastal trail and eventually came up behind the Golden Gate Bridge.  Carla was already at camp, and once I made it to the Presidio to complete Day 1, I headed straight towards Sports Medical. After a long day of walking, we caught a cab to our home away from home for the weekend, Mark’s houseJ


We arose at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday morning to a foggy S.F. day, ready to hit the road to Marin. We walked across the Golden Gate Bridge (although we could barely see it through the fog, it was beautiful). Our friend Michele joined us for part of the walk which included a nice lunch in Sausalito. I have to admit I was tired and had to nurse my pulled muscle, so I was walking very slow. In fact, it got to a point that I was counting 100 steps before having to stop and stretch. Luckily the worst was after we had already walked 15 miles. The sun came out for us in Sausalito, and once back in San Francisco, I headed straight towards Sports Medical and am now a firm believer of chiropractors. I actually don’t think I would have been able to walk the next day if it wasn’t for all the pulling, tugging, stretching, and pain I endured while Michael had me on the table. I was in so much pain I couldn’t stop laughing during my treatment. It was either that, or cry. Carla on the other hand was doing great both days and could have finished much faster if she didn’t have to wait for me. That evening we were lucky enough to get a ride back to Mark’s house from Jon, who had also stopped by to cheer us on earlier in the day at Sausalito and Baker Beach so we didn’t have to walk and wait to find a cab at the end of the day. Thanks Jon!


We woke up at 5 a.m. to get ready and make our way back to the Presidio to begin our final day of walking in the rain, but the sun began to shine once we left the peaceful trails of the Presidio. We walked to the Arguello Gate into Golden Gate Park, to find Stephanie cheering us on. She decided to join us in our walk so together we passed the Conservatory of Flowers, the de Young Museum and the Japanese Tea Garden and filled her in on all the silly stories over the last two days. We stopped to have a pastry with Stephanie before headed into downtown San Francisco to lunch at Mission Dolores Park with sweeping views of the city. It was here where we found Jon and my mom! They actually found us at the Sports Medical tent and I was back on Michael’s table for a quick adjustment. Mama walked with us about a mile, and Jon picked her up to head over to Ocean beach to get our gear and to then meet us at the end. By then, it was into the Civic Center where the Oakland Fire Department had an impromptu dance party, a quick stop for a margarita with 100 other pink warriors on Van Ness, and up into North Beach along Columbus Avenue. Our incredible journey ended with a celebratory Closing Ceremony at Marina Green. Having done the walk once before I quickly grabbed my mom’s hand, and took her with Carla and I through the human line of walkers clapping and cheering us. We finally finished! I then gave my closing ceremonies t-shirt to my mom, gave her my badge and had her participate in the march towards the closing ceremony at the Marina Green. It was a very emotional and fun day.


The SF event had 1,400 walkers & 350 crew members, and with your help we raised $3.7 million! I have NO blisters and feel great except I am so tired I can barely form full sentences. It was a remarkable weekend of kindness, compassion, community, camaraderie, laughter, tears, hugs & hills. Thank you for your donations, your participation in my training walks, and fundraising events. I appreciate you!


Published Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:51 PM by Kyoko Jackson

Comment Notification

Subscribe to this post's comments using RSS


No Comments

Leave a Comment


This Blog